Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Sunny Side Cafe

Each time I brunch at this cute corner cafe I always smile as it reminds me of the sweet, homey breakfast spots I grew up with in Ohio. It's only when I sit down and open the menu I'm reminded that I am in eco-friendly Albany.

Sunny Side is Albany's first green certified restaurant and their menu proves it. With a number of low carbon emission choices you can do something good for your environment while enjoying expertly prepared breakfast foods such as eggs, scrambles and the ultimate breakfast special, the Alameda. Just trust me and try this one, just once. It's possible this could be the end all be all breakfast item for the die-hard brunch fan. The Alameda is loaded with veggies, meat and cheese and sandwiched between french toast, topped with over-easy eggs, hollandaise sauce and a balsamic reduction. 

I tried something new this time (eco-friendly, of course) and went for the multi-grain pancakes. Wow, the pancakes were so delicious and incredibly flavorful I had to restrain myself from joining the clean plate club. The cakes were light, fluffy and had a delicious whole grain flavor. My guy went for the blueberry pancakes, packed full of juicy berries, he joined the clean plate club. We also shared a side of thick, crispy bacon - a side being four large slices. Don't miss the organic coffee, an excellent strong brew the staff seems to always be circulating round the restaurant with refilling cup after cup was also excellent as usual.

I can't recommend Sunny Side highly enough if you are in the neighborhood. Now in its fifth year, this cafe just keeps getting better every time I visit. I sure hope Sunny Side stays in lovely Albany for another five years.

1499 Solano Avenue
Albany, CA
www.thesunnysidecafe.com

No comments: